Mercedes X204 GLK-Class 2007
Compact model with genuine character: the new Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class
Stuttgart – Following its world premiere at Auto China in April 2008, the Mercedes-Benz GLK is being unveiled in its natural habitat for the first time. Boasting a body that is as practical as it is arrestingly succinct, an exceptional power spectrum and a bold personality, the new arrival has what it takes to redefine standards in the compact SUV class over all manner of route profiles – both on and off the road.
Brimming with genuine character, the new GLK-Class is set to take the world of compact SUVs by storm. Yet it is not just the distinctive all-rounder’s practical and appealingly compact body form that sets it apart from the competition.
It also brings together what were previously seen as entirely contradictory attributes, with supreme driving dynamics and outstanding driving safety going hand in hand with exceptional ride comfort courtesy of the AGILITY CONTROL suspension.
Meanwhile the variable 4MATIC all-wheel drive system joins forces with the latest electronic control systems to deliver consummate on-road performance and superb off-road proficiency.
It is precisely this kind of combination that lends the GLK such immense appeal and warrants the inclusion in the model name of the “G”, an allusion to the archetypal Mercedes off-roader.
As Dr. Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Daimler AG Board of Management comments: “The GLK rounds off our tremendously successful SUV family, transferring characteristic Mercedes qualities such as refinement, dynamism and safety to a compact format in the process. This has now significantly raised the bar in this market segment.”
Superlative performance comes courtesy of the powerful yet economical four and six-cylinder engines. The BlueEFFICIENCY model – the GLK 220 CDI – features the new entry-level four-cylinder diesel engine from Mercedes-Benz, which develops 125 kW/170 hp yet only consumes 6.9 litres of diesel per hundred kilometres.
The highly robust body is key to the pioneering passive-safety setup, the extremely low noise levels, the exceptional degree of interior comfort – to produce that typical Mercedes feeling of wellbeing – and the high valu retention.
Furthermore, exemplary appointments and attractive equipment packages make the GLK stand out from the rest of the compact-SUV crowd. Plus, state-of-the-art systems – such as the leading-edge PRE-SAFE® safety concept and the Intelligent Light System (ILS) – are available in this market segment for the very first time.
Mercedes-Benz GLK Edition 1: attractive model to celebrate sales launch
The exclusive “Edition 1” model is being brought out to mark the sales launch of the GLK-Class. This particular variant, sure to be the subject of great demand, is based on the exterior design of the models with exterior sports package but also features 20-inch wheels, the electrically operated EASY-PACK tailgate and specially tinted privacy glass in the rear compartment.
The interior is based on the interior sports package and has been upgraded to include further quality details, such as black/white nappa leather seats from the designo range, an AMG multifunction leather steering wheel, a black roof lining, aluminium trim elements and the COMAND APS system.
The exclusive GLK models are available in calcite white in the basic version, although customers may specify any other paint finish. Engine-wise, the GLK Edition 1 can be combined with any of the V6 units.
Mercedes offers the widest range of SUVs
Mercedes-Benz offers the widest range of SUVs in the premium segment. The GLK, a compact SUV, is the latest addition to the successful family and the brand’s fifth model series in this internationally growth-oriented market.
The R-Class is the model series with the most variants, all of which impress with an outstanding level of long-distance comfort as well as the most generously proportioned and variable interiors of all the Mercedes SUVs, including up to seven seats.
The most successful Mercedes-Benz Sports Utility Vehicle, with around 950,000 vehicles sold to date, is the M-Class, offering an exciting balance between on-road performance and off-road ability. This model series, which celebrated its premiere some ten years ago, is seen as the precursor to all today’s premium SUVs.
The GL-Class has in turn occupied pole position in the SUV world since 2006. Its occupants travel first-class whatever the conditions, both on and off the road. The G-Class, which effectively started it all, is celebrating 30 years of service this coming year. The “G” really comes into its own when venturing off the beaten track and still ranks as one of the world’s best off-roaders.
Bremen plant produces the GLK-Class on an exclusive basis
The GLK is being produced solely at the Mercedes-Benz plant in Bremen, Germany. European customers can order the compact model with genuine character from June 30, 2008, with deliveries set to commence in October. The prices for the German market, not including local VAT, are as follows:
GLK 220 CDI 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY
GLK 320 CDI 4MATIC
GLK 280 4MATIC
GLK 350 4MATIC
Technical data and equipment and appointments may vary from country to country.
Full range of standard equipment, attractive equipment packages*
All models in the GLK-Class range feature a high level of standard equipment, including:
- 4MATIC permanent all-wheel drive
- 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission with Comfort and Sport modes
- Adaptive airbags for driver and front passenger
- Adaptive brake lights
- Aerial integrated in roof spoiler (additional roof aerial if COMAND is specified)
- AGILITY CONTROL suspension with selective damping system
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Brake Assist (BAS) and hill-start assist
- Armrest between driver and front passenger, sideways folding, with compartment
- ASSYST maintenance interval indicator
- Audio 20 sound system, radio/CD with integrated Bluetooth interface and microphone, central 5-inch colour display
- Bag hooks (2) in the load compartment
- Belt height adjuster for driver and front passenger
- Belt status indicator for rear passengers in instrument cluster
- Belt tensioners and adaptive belt-force limiters for the front seats, plus belt tensioners and belt-force limiters for the outer rear seats
- Body-coloured bumpers, exterior mirror housings and door handles
- B-pillars in high-gloss black
- Brake pad wear indicator
- Coat hooks on the tailgate inner door pulls
- Crash boxes, bolted for easy repair, front and rear
- Cruise control
- Diesel particulate filter (for CDI models)
- Dynamic handling control systems – ESP®, ASR, 4ETS, ABS, BAS
- ELCODE locking system with infrared/radio remote control, integral immobiliser, automatic locking whilst driving, unlocking in the event of an accident (crash sensor), extended central locking function
- • Front fog lamps with chrome rings/rear fog lamp
- • Glove compartment air-conditioned
- • Headlamp Assist
- • Heated and electrically adjustable exterior mirrors
- • Heated rear windscreen
- • Heated windscreen washer nozzles
- • Indicators in the exterior mirrors
- • Instrument cluster with three analogue dials (speedometer, rev counter, temperature display/fuel gauge) and central display
- • ISOFIX child seat attachment points in the rear
- • Kneebag on the driver’s side (Europe)
- • Light-alloy wheels, 17-inch, with size 235/60 R 17 tyres
- • Load compartment cover (no-cost option)
- • Load sill guard cover, inside and outside, made from black plastic
- • Load-securing rings in the load compartment
- • Lumbar support with manual 2-way adjustment for driver’s seat
- • Map pockets on the front seat backs
- • Multifunction steering wheel with four buttons
- • NECK-PRO crash-responsive head restraints for driver and front passenger
- • Outside temperature display
- • Paintwork with increased scratch resistance
- • Power outlets, 12 volt, at front and rear of centre console, in the glove compartment and in the load compartment
- Power steering, electrohydraulic, with safety steering column
- • Power windows (4)
- • Rear windscreen wiper with automatic activation when reverse gear is engaged
- Rear-seat backrest with 1/3 : 2/3 split, forwards folding with integral folding rear armrest including double cup holder and stowage compartment
- • Rev counter
- • Seat occupancy sensor on front passenger side
- • Seats for driver and front passenger with electrical height and backrest adjustment, as well as adjustment of the seat cushion angle
- • Side skirts in black, grained
- • Sidebags for driver and front passenger
- • Speed-sensitive power steering (GLK 280 4MATIC, GLK 350 4MATIC, GLK 320 CDI 4MATIC)
- • Steering column, adjustable for height and reach
- • Stowage compartment under the load compartment floor
- • Stowage net in load compartment, left
- • Sun visors with illuminated vanity mirrors
- • THERMATIC 2-zone automatic climate control
- • Three head restraints in the rear
- • Tinted glass all round
- • TIREFIT (or compact spare wheel as a no-cost option)
- • Trim elements for interior in fabric
- • Tyre pressure loss warning system
- • Warning and ambient lights in the tailgate
- • Windowbags
Exterior sports package or off-road styling package to complement the range of standard equipment
Two equipment packages are available, allowing customers to personalise their GLK.
The exterior sports package includes:
- 19-inch 7-spoke light-alloy wheels with size 235/50 R 19 tyres at the front and size 255/45 R 19 tyres at the rear
- • Chrome package with roof rails in aluminium, chromed rectangular exhaust tailpipes, inner and outer load sill guards with stainless-steel inserts, front fog lamps with chrome surrounds and shoulderline trim strip in chrome
- • Radiator grille with three chrome fins
- • Rear apron with chrome trim strips
- • Rub strip in chrome
- • Side skirts painted in body colour
- • Sports suspension, lowered by 20 mm
The off-road styling package includes:
- • 17-inch light-alloy wheels with size 235/60 R 17 tyres at the front and size 255/55 R 17 tyres at the rear
- • Chrome package with chromed rectangular exhaust tailpipes, inner and outer load sill guards with stainless-steel inserts, front fog lamps with chrome surround and shoulderline trim strip in chrome
- • Front and rear apron with off-road pads in black, grained
- • Radiator grille with two chrome fins
- • Roof rails in matt black
- • Simulated underguards front and rear in black, grained
Exclusive additional equipment features from higher-segment models
GLK customers can upgrade their vehicles by specifying further equipment features and packages:
Off-road engineering package
- • “G” switch for activating a special off-road driving program:
- modified accelerator pedal characteristics, adapted 7G-TRONIC shift points, manual shift mode for 7G-TRONIC, off-road ABS, specially tuned ESP®/4ETS
- • 3-spoke leather steering wheel with shift paddles
- • Additional underguard made of GMTex
- • DSR switch (Downhill Speed Regulation)
- • Off-road monitor with compass indicator, altimeter, GPS coordinates and tracking system to record routes in areas not covered by digitised maps (if COMAND APS is specified)
Interior sports package
- 3-spoke leather steering wheel with shift paddles
- • Aluminium trim elements in the dashboard and in the front and rear door panels
- • Combined fabric/ARTICO man-made leather upholstery
- • Instrument cluster in matt silver with tube-style design
- • Interior lighting package
- • Selector lever in leather with chrome inlay
- • Sports pedals with stainless-steel look
- • Stainless-steel door sills in the doors
Additional optional extras available for all models:
- • 20-inch 7-spoke or 5-twin-spoke light-alloy wheels with size 235/45 R 20 tyres at the front and size 255/40 R 20 tyres at the rear
- • Automatic child seat recognition on the front-passenger side
- • Automatically dimming interior mirror and exterior mirrors
- • COMAND APS with 7.5-inch monitor positioned in centre of dashboard, integral radio, CD/DVD player, hard-disc navigation with tracking system for recording routes outside areas covered by digitised maps, telephone operation and off-road menu, can be combined with TV tuner and reversing camera
- • Fine wood interior trim elements in pine brown or burr walnut
- • Genuine leather interior appointments
- • Heated front seats
- Intelligent Light System with five light functions that are activated in specific driving situations (cornering light function, country mode, motorway mode, active light function and enhanced fog lamps)
- • LINGUATRONIC voice-operated control system for navigation, radio, telephone and CD/DVD player or changer
- • Media interface
- • Panoramic glass sliding sunroof, electrically operated
- • PARKTRONIC
- • PRE-SAFE®
- • Privacy glazing
- • Rear seat entertainment system with 2 screens, radio remote control, 2 sets of IR headphones, aux-in socket for multimedia devices such as games consoles, DVD player
- • Remote controlled, electrohydraulically operated EASY-PACK tailgate
- • Seat adjustment, 10-way, fully electrical with memory package
- • Sidebags in rear
- • THERMOTRONIC 3-zone luxury automatic climate control
*Selection only, equipment and appointments may vary from country to country; in alphabetical order
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.