- Mercedes-Benz SL of the R 230 series Official F1™ Safety Car in four Formula 1 seasons
- Production sports car extensively modified for use in the Formula 1
- Continuous tradition of Safety Cars and Medical Cars from Mercedes-Benz in the Formula 1 dates back to 1996
Stuttgart – In the first race of the 2009 Formula 1 season a Mercedes-Benz SL 63 AMG was the first car to cross the finishing line: powered by the 386 kW (525 hp) 6.3-litre V8 engine, the high-performance roadster, which could sprint from a full stop to 100 km/h in only 4.4 seconds, felt clearly at home on the racetrack.
Starting from pole position, he took the chequered flag with a 20s margin over the second placed car, achieving his first win in Formula One.
Race Preview Feature 11: The V8 Centenary
The 2011 Hungarian Grand Prix will be a race of anniversaries, including 100 Grands Prix for MERCEDES GP PETRONAS driver Nico Rosberg and 200 for the Mercedes-powered 2009 World Champion Jenson Button. But it will also mark a technological milestone for the sport, as the 2.4 litre V8 engine, competes in its 100th race. Here’s a summary of what the engine has achieved since its very first appearance at the 2006 Bahrain Grand Prix…
The Australian Grand Prix, the first race of the 2011 Formula One season, ended in disappointment for the MERCEDES GP PETRONAS team this afternoon with Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher both forced to retire from the race.
· Michael was hit on the first lap and had to pit with a puncture to the right rear tyre which dropped him to last place
· The collision caused damage to the floor of the car which eventually forced his retirement on lap 19
· Nico had made his first pit stop and was in P8 when he was hit from behind by Rubens Barrichello at turn three
· With a loss of water pressure from the impact, Nico pulled over to retire the car at turn thirteen on lap 22
The Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi hosts the final race this weekend as the 2010 season comes to a close. With the race held in twilight conditions with a 17:00hrs start time, today’s practice sessions began in the early and late afternoon with the floodlights coming on around the circuit as darkness set in during the second session.
It don’t matter wheather you are rich or poor, just as long as you can buy anything you want.